The Storks of Böbs

The Storks of Böbs
A Very Fine Pair

Up the coast to Whitby and the last supper at the Magpie

Saturday 18.06.11




The last full day of our North of England tour.



We set off after doing a bit of cleaning of the apartment and arrived in Whitby to join the large cue that always forms at the long stay car park beside the Co-op. It was one of those days that we had become used to, wet and windy. We headed down towards the harbour mouth, passing all of the winkle stalls (I did have a plate of whelks) and then passing “The Magpie” we had decided to go there for lunch. Now there was a largish cue standing in the rain on the steps and in the street for the take away. But we brave souls stood in line and waited until a table was free. There was also a German film team doing a shoot, I suppose I should have asked them when it was to be on TV.




We eventually got seen to our table, ordered our SMALL haddock and chips, mushy peas, bread and butter, and a pot of tea. I have now been to the magpie on three occasions and can only concur with Rick Stein, these where once again exemplary, wonderful crispy batter, smashing chips and a portion that made me glad I hadn’t ordered a medium portion never mind a large one!

Waiting patiently

Read the special menu ( it's called progress, is this what is called TV Dinners?) But they did have Lindisfarne oysters on!


The small portion

Boy did that taste good, juicy succulent haddock filet
We also had a great view out of the window in the direction of Whitby Abbey, I kept an eye out as I am sure I saw a raith like figure slithering up the cliffs, don't know it was foul weather and the light can play tricks on ones eyes.
We (well Linda did as it was my birthday treat) paid the bill, I think that it was well worth it, I must ask Linda whar she thought about, she will in all probability say " mine was only worth half of what I paid for"!!
Well she did get TWO sweets

A steam bus was plying its trade up and down the harbor, I do like these big boys toys, fascinating

 









we also popped into the life boat station, not just because it was raining, but I always do, I am an ancient mariner and Linda’s Brother in Law is the Commodore of the Kilkeel life boat in NI, so they always get a quid or three from us.


We managed to take a few photos and then headed to the pier and saw a couple taking a stroll along the beach, well when it is summer holidays, we have summer holidays no matter what.

We wlked to the end of the pier and the sun actually tried to break through the clouds, it made a nice photgraph
 We made our way back passing the windlasses that once where used to pull the sailin luggers and coal skiffs into the port when there was no wind., The hawsers would be thrown ashore and gangs of men would man the windlass and pull it into port.


The row of windlasses

On returning to the car park we heard a whistle blowing and just then a steam train was pulling into the Station that just made my day!




As this was our last evening and we didn’t want to dirty the kitchen, I went out and got us some chips and beans from Inghams a nice chippy across the road got some chips and a tub of beans, again monster portions and then went to the bakery two doors down got a warm pie each, took them upstairs and pigged out on pie chips and beans. Now that is what I call living, fish and chips, and pie and chips all in one day, my Doc will kill me!

No comments:

Post a Comment