The Storks of Böbs

The Storks of Böbs
A Very Fine Pair

A mild beef Vindaloo

This is a variation on the traditional Vindaloo; it does not blow the top of your head off. It is roughly based on Mamta’s recipe Vindaloo 1 with my changes due to not having certain ingredients to hand (forgot to pick them up) and wanting to make it less severe without losing the acidity of a Vindaloo.
I made the Vindaloo marinade the day before and let it mature overnight on my balcony (it was quite chilly about 2 Degrees)
Meat (you can make this with pork as it comes from Goa which is predominantly Christian)
1.2 kg of beef goulash

The marinade spices
Dry ingredients
5 green cardamom pods
2 large black cardamom pods
4 cloves
10 peppercorns
3 cm piece of cinnamon bark
1 tsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp. of cumin seeds
½ tsp. fenugreek seeds
3 large dried chillies
1 tsp. white mustard seeds

heat all of the above in a heavy based pan when the mustard seeds begin to pop put
into a pestle and mortar (or a blender) and pound until it turns into a rough powder

heat the ghee in the pan and add the onions, garlic and ginger, fry until translucent, but not brown add to a blender along with the spices and blitz to a paste.

 







20ml of red wine vinegar
10ml of sherry vinegar
½ tsp. of tamarind paste
add the above to the paste and give it another wiz


pour the lot over the meat
Mix all together, cover and put in a cool place I put it on my balcony as it was about 2 degrees
Next morning (Sunday) up with the larks (none about at the minute)

slice another red onion and fry in ghee until soft add the black mustard seeds and allow to pop add this to the meat, give it a stir.

add
1tsp. of turmeric
1tsp of sweet paprika powder
2 tsp. of vegetable stock powder


mix and pop the lot into the SC bowl
Add
1 tin of chopped tomatoes (a deviation)
A good sprinkling of dried coriander leaves (had no fresh)
And here I deviated again from the traditional Vindaloo recipes (will I ever be forgiven)
150ml of full (10%) cream Greek yoghurt
Give it all a good stir, lid on and on to full for 2 hours and then low for a further 3 hours, taste the sauce at the 2 hour point, if you think it needs more acidity add a splash more vinegar (I did).

This Vindaloo is I suppose not what the lads want on a Friday night after 10 pints of Lager but I think that this will suit most people’s palates without blowing them to bits. If you would like a little or a lot more heat just up the number of chillies or add a couple of teaspoons of chilli powder.
I served this with plain boiled basmati rice steamed with a couple of green cardamom pods

I think the sauce was a bit thin, next time I shall strain the juice from the tomatoes and may be do without the beef stock, we live and learn, though there was nothing wrong with the taste.
I would have had some naan and pickles or chutney but if the truth be known, I had run out and was too lazy to make some.
I drank a nice cold pink from Aldi which it cost all of €2,90 a bottle, a litre that is.
I should have sprinkled some fresh chopped coriander leaves on top before serving but I had forgotten those as well.
ahh well I don't suppose it will get any better, my memory not the Vidaloo









No comments:

Post a Comment