The Storks of Böbs

The Storks of Böbs
A Very Fine Pair

Woodcock (not Tony)

Woodcock-Waldschnepfe



First catch yourself a woodcock (Scolopax rusticola) this is not as easy as it seems as:

a) They have a very erratic flight

b) Are a small target

c) Are in very short supply

d) The last one I shot came down headless

The above being the case, I seeing one (the only one on the stall) at Furness’s in Borough Market, I immediately bought it. Packed in my cool box along with other nice things (wild rabbit and a grouse) a pucker gen Very Large Spanish Chorizo, very nice indeed even if it did cost me £20,-.

I safely got it home and so decided to freeze the rabbit and grouse and eat the woodcock the next evening (Tuesday).

I washed and picked it over to remove the remaining feathers.

The cooking of:

Browned it in a little goose fat, sautéed some cubed potatoes, speck and onions.


Placed the Woodcock on top of the potatoes, sprinkle with some fresh herbs and allow to fry for a while.



covered with a few slices of smoked bacon sliced from a nice piece of home cured and smoked belly


 and popped it into the oven to finish.

Next I fried a slice of whole grain bread with a few slices of bacon and that was the crouton


Remove the woodcock from the oven,


place it on a crouton, suround with sautéed potatoes and the bacon, enjoy.

The breast was pink, very pink just how I like them.


I can tell you there wasn't a lot left from the fine little fella

No comments:

Post a Comment