The Storks of Böbs

The Storks of Böbs
A Very Fine Pair

Karneval not in West Rio, but in Westphalia



This Thursday was not like any other Thursday in the year, it was Altweiberfastnacht in Rietberg. Rietberg is so small that it doesn't appear on larger maps, it is a sleepy town to the East of Gütersloh , famous in the region only for its geese and chicken breeding AND once a year its Altweiberfestnacht

It all starts out quite nice and peaceful, a bit of a breakfast for the Ladies on the last Thursday before the start of Lent, Called Altwieberfastnacht. I say start because by the time the processions are all in the right order and the groups have been extricated from one another, the girls are quite obviously getting merry. The scissors are starting to do their snipping, don't think you can get away with not wearing one; there are always belts and shoe laces to be cut. Now why I ever thought that the Rietberger altweiber would start at 11:11, I do not know, to hell with tradition, it was to be 11 minutes past 3, I had arrived well ahead of time as I wanted to take a few photographs of the scene of the crime prior to the crime taking place.


It was a fantastic day and I went along the river bank snapping some of the bird life (not the ones that where later to be snapped.)



taking a late breakfast or early lunch






obviously something didn't agree with this lady



I then walked through the Altstadt, which was in the last throws of preparation. (All shop’s closed at midday and all pubs open, the beer stands and the food stands all ready for action. I walked to the Rathaus and took a few photographs of it and the adjacent church; this is after all a religious event. (How! what? did I hear you say)



I paid my not quite compulsory entrance fee and got my Reitberg karnevals button (that's it at the top of the blog), I do believe I have last years somewhere around. I then moved to the other end of the street (Rietberg Altstadt is all of 500 meter long). There was the banner showing the way to the festival tent.




There the girls had started to come out of the Festzelt (event tent) where they had been Frühstücken (breakfasting) since 11:00 ahh so that was meant by starting at 11:11, not the procession but the partying (only women allowed in the tent).


a group of lady builder, obviously had a little something stronger than tea for breakfast










I returned to my warm place directly across from the Rathaus and waited, the Narren Prince and Princess done their thing, greeted everyone in rhyme.





Down the street came the lead band, trumpeters trumpeting and drummers drumming.











This was leading the Altweiber all dressed as Ice Princesses (well at their age it was more perma-frost than ice, hee hee). In front was their elephant towing a cage, no, THE cage.



They came to halt direct in front of the Rathaus stage; they then stormed the stage taking over the workings of the commune for the next 24 hours. Head Altweiber Astrid read out the proclamation, again all in rhyme, in which she poured scorn, discredit and satirical humour on the whole of the local, regional and national politicians (male of course).


















This done the white bed linen flag was flown from the Rathaus tower signaling that the town of Reitberg was now in safe hands of the fairer (sic) sex.

The procession was formed of over 100 foot groups of women dressed in various costumes, most of which are made in meticulous heimarbeit (home handwork) by knitting groups, skittle clubs, card players or just a few neighbours that enjoy a good hearted day out.


That is for them, not for us poor men, we must put up with all manner of abuse both verbal and physical. I was unfortunately standing a little too close to the Ice Maidens, they grabbed me and quite unexpectedly (wink wink) whipped out a pair of scissors and snip, off came my tie. I was then unceremoniously bundled into the cage in which was the Queen of the Ice Maidens.


The ransom that must be paid for release is €5.- for the Altweiber Karneval fund, a slug from the magic elixir bottle (this is to make you a good husband and provider for the coming year), Woh, woh thrice woh, but worsts of all you have to kiss Queen Astrid, yuk yuk, spit spit


I now had to battle my way through the masses back to my place at the Rathaus, of course now occupied by another, not to worry, I wandered along the street to the starting point taking photos of the various groups.























I wonder what type of club these ladies where in!!!!
















until I reached the river Ems, crossed the bridge and back into normality (if there is such a thing over the next 5 days.)


I then made my way back to Rheda-Wiedenbrück, to make ready for the evenings festivities when the whole pack descended on the Altstadt and filled the pubs and tents set up to satisfy their thirsts and music to satisfy their dancing needs. I do believe I made it home at about 01:30.

2 comments:

  1. what movement photo shoot. its really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice image i think all image are looking too beautiful.

    ReplyDelete