The Storks of Böbs

The Storks of Böbs
A Very Fine Pair

Lazy mans (Dicks) ;-) Game cassoulet

This is a one I made last year so may well do it again, as I must clear my freezer out.



Ingredients:



1 Kg of mixed game, this is the perfect use for broken or tougher parts of the game, I made 2kg and the better parts went into a game pie that I was also making.

I had 4 pigeons, breasts, 1 wild rabbit (marinade in cider and spices), 300g diced wild boar and 300g diced Red deer

300g Juniper cured and smoked cooked belly pork.

100g cured speck

2 pigs trotters

1 large leek (white only) Cut into 4 lengthways and sliced

¼ of a celeriac diced

1 large carrot diced

3 table spoons of goose fat

3 shallots

½ chilli

2 large cloves of garlic (I have a little machine that dices them into about 1mm cubes)

2 anchovy fillets chopped

1 large ripe tomato deseeded and chopped

1 tin of chopped tomatoes with garlic and herbs

1 tin of butter beans

1 jar (800g) white navy beans

Fresh Rosemary

Fresh Sage

Fresh parsley

1l of game stock (I had made this from the trimmings and bones of the game, with freeze dried root veg onion, game spices and the pigs trotters and a cider marinade done in the pressure cooker)

Ground spices, (pepper, cinnamon, pimento, nutmeg, juniper)



Methodology



Heat goose fat in a heavy cast iron casserole (it doesn’t have to be blue)

Soften the veg, tomatoes in the goose fat add, the speck and anchovies, chilli, garlic and shallot.

Add ½ the meat and belly top with ½ the beans and tinned tomatoes, top with the remainder finishing off with the remainder beans and tomatoes, bury the two pig’s trotters in the mixture, and add the sprigs of fresh herbs. Pour over a good 700ml of stock.



Place it in the middle of a preheated oven (170°C) (convert it yourself



I put it in the oven at 12:00 when we went out to the Asparagus farm and a nice drive out into the country (well I didn’t have to go far as it’s within 1 km), I checked at 13:00 added some more stock and replaced the lid. I took it out of the oven at about 15:00, BINGO it was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment